The terraces located at 472-474 Lonsdale Street were originally built in 1886 on part of the site of the former Presbyterian Manse. The site was acquired by Sir Thomas Fitzgerald in 1887 and used as part of his private hospital. Since then, Waverley Terrace has housed Naval offices, a Music Academy, a Nurses Hostel, a cafe / guest house, and even an abortion clinic. During the second world war, the terraces returned to it’s original use, becoming part of the Queen Victoria Hospital. From 1947 to the 1990’s the Australian Broadcasting Corporation occupied the terraces. The building currently houses County Court Administrative offices and provides staff with a beautiful glimpse into a bygone era. Many of the original features were retained, such as the main staircase and fireplaces designed in an unusual trefoil bracket motif.
Historic Waverley Terrace The Liberty Group 2017-09-11T18:43:09+00:00